Monday, April 26, 2010

Oh Cacao!

Rich, Smooth, Velvety…Chocolate. We have the Olmecs, Mayans and Aztecs to thank for discovering and treasuring the superb cocao bean. Finding its way through Mexico, Spain and trickling through Europe, the versatile bean evolved into a gloriously addictive substance known as Chocolate. For centuries people have indulged in the guilty pleasures of this magnificent creation and with good reason. I am unequivocally quite proud to declare that I am a statistic.

Being the chocolate lover that I am, I was quite troubled to discover that I was unable to locate a place in Durban that made a super awesome chocolate milkshake. Ok, so you are probably thinking that I am crazy and right now you have retrieved from your memory archive that, ‘not so bad’ chocolate shake that you drank recently at that, ‘so and so’ restaurant/takeaway…well let me stop you right there. When I mean chocolate milkshake, I am not talking about the bottled shakes that you can obtain at convenience stores, nor am not talking about those artificial chocolate syrups that are swirled into vanilla ice cream and camouflaged as a ‘chocolate milkshake’ with a cherry on top for good measure, famously served at restaurants.

Oh no, you are sorely mistaken. What I speak of is something so much more special. I speak of a drink that would leave your knees weak, take your taste buds on a decadent adventure, a drink that would set the gods pulses racing. And this is where I let all of you in on little secret fellow friends. After what seemed like years of failed tastings, I finally found it. The perfect chocolate milkshake! A rich, thick, sublime concoction which is positively sinful and oh so orgasmic (dare I say it) that after you are hesitating down to the last slurp of the chocolate goodness, you don’t really care as you will have been elated to a place equivalent to nirvana. Well, that may be pushing it to the extreme and I may sound a bit melodramatic but trust me this shake is friggin awesome and feeds the chocolate lovers appetite.

Place: Cacao, Gateway Theatre of Shopping
Drink: Belgian Dark Chocolate Milkshake
Damage: R26.00 (worth every cent)
Service: Great
Ambiance: white urban modish

Well there you have it. Cacao is a chocolate bar and serves as the title would imply all things decadent and made with chocolate. The menu caters just about anything you can imagine. From cakes, tarts, ice cream, fondues and pancakes, to colds drinks, hot drinks and an entirely wicked drinks (with alcohol) menu all playful chocolate and infused with chocolate.

To end I shall leave you with an awesome quote by Michael Levine, a nutrition researcher, as quoted in the Emperors of Chocolate: Inside the Secret World of Hershey Mars:

“Chemically speaking, chocolate really is the world’s perfect food.”

Hmmm… I conquer...xoxo Durban's Gossip Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment